Getting Started & State Laws
• www.leapingfromthebox.com – Informative website that answers common questions about home schooling in Alabama. Includes support groups, cover schools, etc…
• www.homeschool.com – Wonderful website to visit if you are thinking of homeschooling. Great information on different approaches to homeschooling, such as: classical , unschooling, Charlotte Mason, school in a box, etc…
• www.hslda.org - HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association) gives families the freedom to homeschool without having to face legal threats alone.
• www.homeschoolcentral.com- Resourceful website for new or veteran homeschoolers. Includes state laws, curriculums, unschooling and much more.
• Cornerstone Family Church School
341 North Madison Terrace
Montgomery, Alabama 36117
Contact: Mike and Anna Mae Jones –
Requirements: Interview, agreement with doctrinal statement, quarterly evaluations (record of attendance, curriculum using, activities, etc.), optional online record keeping.
Tuition Fee: $25 per year per family, HSLDA membership - $100
Enrollment Deadline: No deadline
• Dayspring Academy/High School
Decatur, AL 35603
Phone: (256) 353-2592
Contact: Donna Mitchell, Administrator
Requirements: A church enrollment form to local Board of Education
Enrollment Fee: $95 first time enrollment fee
Re-enrollment for members is $75 per family .
Enrollment Deadline: Accept new enrollments year-round
Other: Phone/in person curriculum help, message board (covers all of Alabama), transcripts for each child, online support, area coordinators available to plan local activities. All books, report cards, graduation ceremony and awards or diplomas will be extra.
• Evangel Family Christian Academy
Attn: Homeschool Office
3975 Vaughn Road, Montgomery, AL 36106
Phone: (334) 272-3215
Contact: Maretta Oswald, Administrator
Requirements: Membership in Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA); letter from your pastor stating that your family is a member in good standing in a Bible-believing church; course of study for each school-age child; 170 schooling days; orientation meeting at beginning of school year.
Tuition: $100 per year per family
Enrollment Deadline: July 28th
Other: Quarterly student evaluations; Lift classes available for ages 13 and up, monthly newsletter, field trips, clubs, sports (ages 12 and up), standardized testing as requested and graduation with diploma. www.evangelfamily.net
• Everest Academy
1521 3rd St SE, Graysville, AL 35073
Administrator: Deb Spradlin
Mission: Everest Academy believes that the parent has the best interests of their children at heart. We believe that the parent is the first and only teacher that a child needs. In keeping with this philosophy, we wish to be a very hands-off cover school and allow the parent to lead and guide their children in the direction and at the pace they feel is best suited to their children. We ask only for what the law requires while offering support along with quality resources to aid families in their efforts.
Other: We serve all of Alabama, Statewide coverage.. Newsletter sent weekly by email. We offer a wider range of field trips and activities.
Requirements: Application for enrollment and grades and attendance records due at time of graduation or transference.
Tuition: $200 new enrollees / $100 re enrollment per family per year
• Holy Spirit Academy
Administrator’s Name: Juli Anne Mangum
Location (mailing address): 8570 Vaughn Rd., Montgomery, AL 36117
Office hours (for phone contact): 9am-9pm
Sponsoring church: Holy Spirit Catholic Church
Enrollment area: Local to Central Alabama
Statement of Faith: not required. HSLDA: required General description (or Mission Statement): The mission of Holy Spirit Academy is to serve families choosing to educate their school age children at home in compliance with Alabama law. HSA provides home schooling families with a structure of support and services for academic excellence and for living the Catholic faith in the home and society.
Requirements: HSLDA membership, Church School enrollment form filed yearly, curriculum list, semester progress report, semester attendance report, August and January required meetings of primary teachers. We do accept families of other religions with a pastor’s letter stating they are registered members of their church. Tuition: $35 yearly fee.
• Little Flock Ministries
P.O. Box 250504, Montgomery, AL 36125
(334) 288-7475; (Montgomery)
Hours: 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
Administrators: Tracy Glover
Mission Statement: Interdenominational church school. Our goal is to serve homeschooling families regardless of church and/or religious affiliations.
Requirements: We do require that the four basic subjects be taught, one attendance report per month, two progress reports per year. You must maintain daily record of attendance, grade book, lesson plans and a work portfolio with samples of past work at home. You must fill out application package.
Tuition: $25 per year per family
Enrollment Deadline: open year round
• Outlook Academy
P.O. Box 1027, Millbrook, AL 36054
Directors: Carren and Daniel Joye
Web site: www.outlookacademy.org
Outlook Academy is a hands-off church school. Because we believe that parents are best suited to direct the education of their children, Outlook Academy asks only for what the law requires while also offering support for your personal choices. We accept students from all over the state. Because we wish to use today’s available technology to make the homeschooling process as easy, efficient and convenient as possible, many of our services have Internet options, such as attendance reports via email.
Requirements: Attendance reports at the end of the year. Not required: membership in HSLDA, meetings, minimum days of attendance, testing, curriculum review, or statement of faith.
Enrollment Fee: $30, one time
Tuition: $95 per family, per year.
Enrollment Deadline: August 1, with mid-year enrollments for an additional fee
Other: Weekly Co-op, convenient attendance reporting via email, monthly newsletter, online support, contact information for local homeschool support groups, web site featuring curriculum information and news of home schooling interests.
•New Hope Academy c/o The Learning Place
698 Silver Hills Drive, Prattville and
Second location: 2812 Main Street, Millbrook
334-361-9505; Hours: 8 a.m until 6 p.m.
Administrators: Tina Halbert
Website: http://www.thelearningplacealabama.com Mission Statement: The Learning Place provides a legal homeschool covering for those parents choosing to homeschool their children. We are a “hands-off” cover school, requiring only the basic enrollment procedures and attendance policies. Please read our forms for more information. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Enrollment: Accepting applications year round.
Tuition:$20 per child with an $80 cap.
Please visit www.leapingfromthebox.com for statewide cover schools. Also, check with your local church to see if it might be a cover school for its members.
• ABEKA Curriculum: Abeka Curriculum has a Christian and traditional approach to education. They offer three options to teaching. The DVD option is a fully accredited college preparatory program with ABEKA Academy. The second option is the traditional parent – directed option with ABEKA Academy. The third option is textbooks / materials for home schooling that you pick and choose from. ABEKA offers home school material displays several times a year in Montgomery and surrounding areas. Please visit www.abeka.com for more information or for a free catalog.
• Alpha Omega Publications: Alpha Omega offers a wide variety of Christian curricula for varying learning styles. Please visit www.aop.com for more information or a free catalog.
• Bob Jones Curriculum: BJU offers quality textbooks, homeschool consultants, student focused distance learning classes, and a wide range of other products and services to meet your educational needs. BJU Press offers home school material displays in Montgomery and surrounding areas during the year. Please visit www.bjupress.com or call 1-800-845-5731 for more information or a free catalog.
• Calvert School – “When enrolled in Calvert school, you have a partner in education.” They provide you with all of the textbooks, tools and support you need. Calvert is a classical Christian Private School. The teachers provide the lessons plans and everything is provided to you. They offer support with placement testing, education counselors, and advisory teaching services. Please visit www.calvertschool.org/home-school/ or call 1-888-487-4652 for more information or a free catalog.
• Heart of Dakota - Christ centered homeschool curricula that is flexible, easy to use, and educational. This curricula can be used with multiple ages at the same time. Please visit www.heartofdakota.com for more information or for a free catalog.
• Keystone National High School - Online Accredited High School and Middle School where you can earn your diploma online. Visit www.keystonehighschool.com.
• KONOS – KONOS is distinct from other curricula. It uses the entire library as a textbook and the whole world as its curriculum.
• My Father’s World – Raising up generations of families who see the world through God’s eyes and live according to that knowledge.
• Oak Meadow – Oak Meadow offers many different options to meet individual family needs for education. They offer complete curriculum for at home use or you can enroll online to receive academic credit. Their curricula gives students freedom to learn with flexibility and recognition of learning styles. Please visit www.oakmeadow.com for more information or a free catalog.
• Rod & Staff Curricula – Rod and Staff offer Bible based textbooks that are designed to make the child God conscious. Please visit www.rodandandstaffbooks.com and click on the homeschool link.
• Saxon Curriculum – Saxon teaches the foundational skills of math and reading. Please visit www.saxonpublishers.com for more information.
• Sonlight Curriculum - Sonlight uses a classical Christian approach to education. It is literature rich and focuses on teaching children to seek God’s kingdom and to create a learner’s heart, enthusiasm and excitement for learning. Please visit www.sonlight.com for more information, a free catalog or to visit the forums.
• Tapestry of Grace – Tapestry of Grace uses a Classical / Redesigned approach to education through a plan of study that helps parents provide a Christian, classical education using a guided unit study approach. Students cycle through world history every four years, with all ages studying the same slice of history each week, each at their own learning level. This curricula does not include does not include a phonics program, science, math, grammar, spelling, or foreign language. Please visit www.tapestryofgrace.com for more information.
• Timberdoodle Co. – Offers a wonderful selection of books and Core Curriculums. Our selection is based on over twenty-five years of homeschooling and 24 years of selling homeschooling supplies. Please visit us at www.timberdoodle.com
• Veritas Press – Specializes in providing educational materials for a classical Christian education. Scripted lesson plans with a complete curriculum package or online classes with expert teachers available. Please visit www.veritaspress.com for more information or a free catalog.
• Winter Promise - Winter Promise celebrates the strengths of family by building unity, togetherness and memories. Our captivating programs will excite your family’s curiosity and our interactive learning opportunities will involve every type of learner.
Everything you need to know about autism
www.autism-society.org: Information, education and support for families
www.autism-pdd.net/inks/alabama.html: Information and support
Special education law and advocacy for children with disabilities
www.mitchells-place.com Diagnostic services, treatment, education and support for families
A to Z Home’s Cool – Curriculum and information; http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com
Bellerophon Books – Books covering art, literature, history, etc. www.bellerophonbooks.com
Beautiful Feet History and Science Curriculum –
Offers classic and historic works that nurture a love for reading. www.bfbooks.com
Chem4kids- Wonderful chemistry website for kids. www.chem4kids.com
Children’s Books- Wide assortment of curricula and books. www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com
Christian Liberty Press – Large assortment for the Christ centered biblical approach.
Distance Learning Integrators- Electronic field trips
Greenleaf Press – The original and still the best resources for teaching history and literature chronologically. www.greenleafpress.com
Hands of a Child – Large variety of Lapbook kits
Hearthsong – Unique toys, games, puzzles, dolls, arts and crafts. www.hearthsong.com
Homeschool Super Center – Secular and religious material offered. www.homeschoolsupercenter.com/
Home Science Tools – Affordable Science tools and kits for hands on experimentation.
Learning Things – The Education Store
Mindware – Educational toys, games and learning toys. www.mindware.com
Rainbow Resource Center – Educational Books and Curriculum at Great Prices
Real Science 4 Kids - Science Curriculum from Preschool to Highschool. Please visit www.gravitaspublications.com
ROCK Solid – Educational Books and Curriculum at Great Prices. www.rocksolidinc.com
Store for Knowledge – A variety of kits, models and toys. www.storeforknowledge.com
Timberdoodle - Fully customizable, budget friendly, complete curriculum and more!
Vision Forum – Christian based company with inspirational toys, books, classical reading. Wonderful website! www.visionforum.com
White House Kids – News, history and games
Yesterday’s Classics- Classic Books for Children
Zoom Kitchen Chemistry
Explore the virtual kitchen and perform online experiments.
Also, check with your local library for resources.
• Academy Days Homeschool Co-op
Upcoming classes at the Academy Days co-op vary from American Literature and Composition, Spanish, Fun With Words (Spelling/Vocab), Creative Writing, Art Exploration, P.E., Photography II, Oil Painting, Choir, Art History, Scrapbooking/Cardmaking, World History, Ancient History, Biology, General Science, Marine Biology and many more ! Held weekly during the school year at Grace Community Church in Millbrook, this affordable co-op is designed for students (preschool through high school) to gather for subjects difficult to teach at home or best taught in group setting. The co-op is open to all homeschoolers of any covering. Deadline to sign up for Fall is July 31.
• Charlotte Mason
Contact: Lavonne Hart
This group holds monthly meetings for fellowship, encouragement and application of Charlotte Mason’s educational philosophies for our homeschooling families. We also host speaker seminars with regional CM experts and maintain a members only yahoo group to share encouragement, ideas and information.
• Fellowship of Home Educators (FHE)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fhenewsandinfo/
FHE is a group of families in Prattville and surrounding area who support one another in the area of home education. We offer many educational opportunities as well as social gathering for our children.
• Elmore County Homeschool Organization (ECHO) http://www.onlineecho.com
We are a support group for homeschooling families in the tri-county area (Elmore, Autauga, Montgomery) of Alabama.
Our motto at ECHO is: “You get out what you put in!”
We meet the second and fourth Friday of every month year-round from 10 a.m. to noon at the Coosada Baptist Church (Annex). Membership is free! Just bring your children and your enthusiasm. We feel that we can conduct our adult discussions with our children in the room, so there is no cost for childcare at ECHO! Our meetings provide practical support for parents while our children participate in supervised activities and playtime. From small things, great things grow -- ECHO is like that. What you put in, what you plant, is what comes out, and with care it will GROW! So get to know your fellow homeschoolers while your children make some homeschooled friends!
• Maxwell Area Home Educators (MAHE)
Maxwell Area Home Educators is a support group formed primarily to encourage military homeschoolers in the MGM (Maxwell/Gunter/Montgomery) area regardless of their reasons for homeschooling, philosophy, or method of instruction. MAHE is NOT a legal “church school,” but a network of homeschoolers working together to assist one another in our homeschooling efforts. If you are new to homeschooling or are long term homeschool parents looking to broaden your child’s academic experience, there is much we can do to help you.
• PEAK of Montgomery (Parent Educators and Kids); http://www.peaknetwork.org/montgomery
Parent Educators and Kids (PEAK) of Montgomery is an inclusive, member led-group, welcoming all local home educators who enjoy sharing and learning within a diverse community. Our members plan local field trips, park days and other social and learning opportunities for home educators in the Montgomery area. To join us, visit www.peaknetwork.org/montgomery.
Workshops and Book Sales
• Alabama Homeschool Expo
June 28-30 at the Montgomery Convention Center. Learn how to Homeschool June 28. Purchase from exhibitors and attend workshops June 29-30. Look for discounts and details at AlabamaHomeschoolexpo.com
• Evangel Family Christian Academy Used Book Sale
Saturday, June 23rd, 10 a.m. -3 p.m. in the Evangel Temple Gym. The used book sale is for all who desire to attend. Table space must be reserved for families who are NOT EFCA members ($20.00 fee) by calling EFCA by Friday, June 20th.
• CHEF Home School Conference –
June 21-22 in Gardendale, AL at Gardendale First Baptist Church. www.chefofalabama.org
CHEF of Alabama serves all home educators in Alabama by providing information, services, and resources from a Christian perspective to anyone who needs help in the area of homeschooling. CHEF had a huge Homeschool Convention and Curriculum Fair every year. To find our more about CHEF please visit their website at www.chefofalabama.org
• ABEKA Homeschool Materials Display in Montgomery; June 14, 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Comfort Inn & Suites in Eastchase; June 29-30 for the Alabama Homeschool Expo at The Montgomery Convention Center; July 30, 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Hampton Inn & Suites in Eastchase; August 29, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m, Comfort Inn & Suites in East Chase. Please visit Abeka’s website for dates in other locations.
• Southeast Homeschool EXPO
July 26-28 Cobb Galleria in Marietta, GA. The Homeschool Expo is a “don’t miss” whole family two day event with hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of products where parents can review and purchase the latest curriculum, hear great speakers who give practical encouragement, and receive personalized help and answers to any questions. Online registration ends Thursday, July 10th. Please visit www.southeasthomeschoolexpo.com.
• Armory Gymnastics Center
1018 Madison Avenue, 334-241-2789
Classes for ages 2 years and up. Cost: $35 per month (2 classes per week) Additional siblings receive 60% discount. Mondays and Wednesday classes: 12:30-1:30 or 1:30-2:30. Tuesday and Thursday classes: 12:30-1:30 or 1:30-2:30. Please call for more information.
• AUM Homeschool Programs
AUM’s Homeschool classes are enrichment classes that are specially designed for homeschool students. They are not designed to replace curriculum. Class sizes are small so students receive individualized attention. All classes are hands on. Our goal is to offer learning experiences that parents are not able or willing to attempt at home. Classes will resume in September and a complete schedule will be available on August 13. For more information please call 244-2804 or visit us at www.aum.edu and click on the Continuing Education tap at the top right and scroll down to Youth programs.
• AUM Homeschool Science Labs
Don’t want to purchase tons of supplies for one science experiment? Don’t want to clean up the mess after the experiment? If so, AUM Home School labs are just right for you. These labs are developed specifically to enrich what you are teaching at home. Our labs are full of hands on learning opportunities. Please call 244-3804 for more information or visit www.aum.edu/coned to learn more.
• Brunswick Home School Bowling League
5665 Carmichael Road, Montgomery, AL
The Home School League will meet September 6. Please call closer to this time to get the exact date. At this meeting the parents will decide what day and what time Home School League will meet. All ages of home school students are invited to bowl in this league. For more information about the league contact us at 334-270-1101.
• Cedar Lane Sport Horses in Wetumpka
334-657-2253 or 334-567-8462
Syllabus Designed for Home Schoolers. English Riding Instruction and Education. Lots of fun and learning on great horses! Mondays thru Fridays. Special Pricing discounts for Home School Families.
Join us or this fun-filled adventure. Call Mischelle Park for details. Over 25 years experience in teaching, riding and showing. Limited spaces available and first lesson is FREE.
• Docarmo’s Taekwondo Center
3179 Taylor Rd., Phone: 334-220-5835
Homeschooling classes year round Monday and Thursday mornings. Please visit www.trytkdfree.com
• Family Karate Center
8159 Vaughn Road
Phone: 277-4911 or 467-5762
Instructor: Master Carole Coker
Offers homeschool classes Monday through Thursday and on Saturdays at various times. Private classes. Instructor has master’s degree in early childhood education and special education (Only school that offers work with Autism, Aspergers, ADD, and ADHD). We have a full workout room for mom’s while children are in class. Free tutoring from certified teacher for all children. Homework checked. Outstanding academic achievement receives treasure chest rewards. Each homeschooler’s report card displayed on Wall of Fame. Students earn bonus bucks for pro-shop. Call for FREE class today.
• Homeschool Skate Day at Looney’s Super Skate
September thru May, 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month; Time: 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
$3.00 per skater (includes skate rental)
• McWane Science Center Labs
Contact: Rachel Pace
200 Nineteenth Street North, Birmingham, AL
McWane Science Center Labs are designed to supplement what you are teaching at home. Students will be able to use equipment and take part in experiments that are not easily executed in the home classroom. Our labs fall within the standards of the Alabama Course of Study as well as the National Science Standards.
• Montgomery Biscuits Grand Slam School Night (April 19th, 2013)
200 Coosa St, Montgomery, AL 36104
Prices range from $8-12
On Friday, April 19th at 7:05 PM, the Biscuits will be hosting “Grand Slam School Night”, designed to help highlight Homeschool groups from across Central Alabama be recognized and have a fun night out together. With special promotions including “Kids under 12 Eat Free” and a postgame “MAX Fireworks Spectacular”, the night is sure to be memorable for all who attend. The Biscuits’ Group Sales department can help create a unique turn-key outing complete with special benefits for your group including: Name recognition on our state of the art scoreboard, a group raffle prize for a lucky member of your group, and a complementary photo keepsake of your group in the stands.
• River Region Homeschool Band
Meets on Thursdays beginning in September at Fountain of Grace Church in Prattville. We offer a beginner class and Intermediate/Advanced Class. $40 per month with an additional discount for family members. Please call Ted Mann at 334-312-1486.
• United Gym Stars
6100 Brewbaker Blvd., 334-284-2244
What a great way to get in physical education. Classes are offered on Wednesday from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. for ages 6 and up. A waiver is signed for each participant. Cost is $6.00 per child per visit.
• YMCA Homeschool Physical Education
Select YMCA’s offer PE to homeschoolers for an hour. Please call your local branch for information.
The Well Trained Mind…Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. Great book for resources.
100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy
The Homeschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith. Making the Decision and Getting Started.
The Way They Learn by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias. Discover and teach to your child’s strengths.
For the Children’s Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macalay
The Five Love Languages of Children by Chapman & Campbell
The Practical Home Schooling Magazine by Mary Pride
The Big Books of Home Learning by Mary Pride